You want to learn or improve your French? This 4-week intensive program is made just for you:
• Language course focusing on professional French • company visits • rich and varied sociocultural activities. This summer, come and experience what life in Montreal has to offer…
In 2017, come and celebrate Montreal’s 375th anniversary
“ Thank you for one of the best summers I’ve ever had. I couldn’t have asked for a better course or city to be in. I really did love every minute of it and I miss Montreal a lot. I learnt so much whilst I was there and made so many friends and memories. It really is something which has made a big impact on my life and I have told my university just how highly I rated this summer school. ”
Rebecca Thomas, University of Hull, UK. Summer 2014.
“ I really loved this program because I’ve met people from around the world, which has been great to expand my own social network. This program is also an ideal opportunity to get to know the culture of Quebec and that of Montreal in particular. ”
Lena Hillert, Erasmus University, The Netherlands. Summer 2015.
“ I enrolled in this summer program hoping to learn about the culture and business environment of Montreal, improve my French, and meet new and interesting people from around the world. I believe that this Business French Summer School surpassed these goals by far. ”
Seth Hewitt, United States – Summer 2016.
Why Study French ?
- French, a language spoken around the world. French is spoken by more than 200 million people on the 5 continents.
- Forbes Magazine recently referred to a study conducted by the investment bank Natixis that suggests that by 2050, due to the fastest-growing economies of French-speaking Africa, French could be the most-spoken language in the world, ahead of English and even Mandarin.
- French brings an added value to your professional career. Mastering French can represent a major asset and will multiply your chances in today’s job market within your country of origin or internationally.
- French, the other language of international relations. Numerous international organizations use French as their official language: United Nations, European Union, UNESCO, NATO, among others.
- French, a language for thought and debate. French is a language that enables one to better structure one’s thoughts and put ideas into perspective, two qualities essential in the workplace.
Overview of the Business French Summer School
This Summer School is designed to address a wide audience (students, executives, professionals, etc.) and does not require any prior specific knowledge in business.
HEC Montréal is the only graduate school of management in North America to offer a Business French Summer School. Geared towards not only students but also professionals, this unique immersion program comprises the following aspects:
- Placement tests, oral and written, administered on Day 1 of the program
- Levels offered : from total Beginner (Level 1) to Intermediate/Advanced (Level 4)
- Class size : between 10 to 16 participants on average – Minimum age required : 18*
*Except for students admitted in a graduating program of study at HEC Montréal
- Business French courses in the morning, focusing on the 4 language skills : writing, reading, listening and speaking
- Credited course* (3 credits). Course Certificate awarded upon successful completion of the program
*For all the other participants, the transfer of credits will be subject to approbation of their university of origin if they still hold a student status.
- Interactive oral communication workshops in the afternoon, focusing on competencies and themes in connection with the business world
- Seminars and conferences in Marketing and Management on the theme of creativity: Establishing and managing small and medium-sized companies – Urban Marketing – Managing cultural organizations*
*These seminars and conferences will be conducted in French and will be open to students in Levels 2 to 4. Participants who were placed at the Beginner level (Level 1) on Day 1 of the program will take part in extra communication workshops instead.
- Company visits: Prominent Montreal small and medium-sized companies – Socially-responsible companies – Hydro-Québec – Radio-Canada Broadcasting Corporation – Cirque Éloize – Moment Factory multimedia studio – La TOHU
- Socio-cultural and sports activities in the afternoon, conducted in French by our dynamic team of French-speaking guides
- Numerous optional activities, all accompanied in the evening by our team of French-speaking guides
Business French Courses Outlines
Management Seminars and Conferences Outlines
- Establishing and managing small and medium-sized companies: This hands-on seminar will revolve around a well thought-out approach to the planning and feasibility of starting a business. This seminar will be conducted by the Centre for entrepreneurship HEC-Poly-UdeM.
- Urban Marketing: This conference will explore the founding principles of Urban Marketing, i.e., how to promote the city locally and internationally. A representative from Tourisme Montréal will present how they go about promoting the city of Montreal. This presentation will also be enhanced by a practical workshop: Photography workshop, and an urban field trip to discover a Montreal neighbourhood, leading up to a photography contest on the following theme: « Montreal, ma réalité » (“Montreal, my reality”.)
- Management of cultural organizations: This seminar will focus on getting a better understanding of the cultural sector and on developing skills and abilities to manage a cultural organization.
Watch the 2 videos below that showcase the mural that the Montreal-based, multi-artist collaborative drawing project “En Masse” (meaning “All Together”) designed and created in the Décelles Pavilion at HEC Montréal:
Descriptions of Company Visits
Perfectly integrated within the Business French program, all company visits will be preceded by a preparatory workshop and will culminate in a feedback session or French oral presentation.
- Small and medium-sized companies based in Montreal: Visits of dynamic and innovative companies that are all woven into the economic fabric of Montreal.
- Socially-responsible companies: Visits of different companies that cater to the social and environmental needs in Montreal.
- Hydro-Québec generates, transmits and distributes electricity. Its sole shareholder is the Québec government. It uses mainly renewable generating options, in particular large hydro, and supports the development of other technologies—such as wind energy and biomass. A responsible corporate citizen committed to sustainability, Hydro-Québec carries out construction projects to prepare for the future. It also conducts R&D in energy-related fields, including energy efficiency.
- Radio-Canada Broadcasting Corporation: Since 1952, la Société de Radio-Canada has been an integral part of the public television network that broadcasts throughout Canada. This outing will provide you with not only the opportunity to go on a behind-the-scenes guided tour of Radio-Canada (TV studios, News Centre (CDI), setting and props departments), but also taking part, in French, in a workshop in which you will produce a news segment following a pre-established scenario. Depending upon your skill level in French, you will be assigned a specific role, such as news anchor, reporter, cameraman, and so forth. The recording of this news segment will be given to you at the end of the workshop.
- Cirque Éloize: Positioned at the heart of the renewal of circus arts, Cirque Éloize has been creating moving performances filled with magic since 1993. Continually striving for artistic perfection, it is one of the leaders in contemporary circus arts. Based on the multidisciplinary talents of its artists, Cirque Éloize expresses its innovative nature through theatricality and humanity, and combines circus arts with music, dance and theatre in a path-breaking and original manner. This visit to Cirque Éloize Montreal’s headquarters will be a rare opportunity for you to meet key players who will help you better understand how this organization established its name throughout the world and the challenges it will face in the future.
- Moment Factory: New multimedia and entertainment studio founded in Montreal in 2001, Moment Factory designs and creates one-of-akind sight and sound experiences. It comes as no surprise that major names in the entertainment industry regularly call upon them: Cirque du Soleil, Céline Dion, Madonna, Microsoft, etc. You will meet with one of the representative of Moment Factory, a multimedia studio that knows no limits.
Day-time Socio-cultural and Sport Activities
All these activities* will be conducted in French in small groups with our team of French-speaking guides:
- Guided tour of Old Montreal
- Afternoon outing to Parc Exalto, the first park of its kind in North America! Go on an adventure hanging in the air in the heart of the city: that’s what the Exalto urban acrobatic park offers. Video
- Field trip to discover a Montreal neighbourhood
- Photography contest around the Urban Marketing theme: « Montréal, ma réalité » (“Montreal, my reality”)
- Charity project with “Love Montréal” organization. This project will be carried out in French.
- Guided visit of Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art and art workshop.
- Visit of Place-Ville-Marie high-rise and of Montreal History Museum situated on the 47th floor.
*Activities subject to change
Evening Activities and Outings
All these activities* will be conducted in French in small groups with our team of French-speaking guides:
- Learning French songs and picnicking in Mount Royal Park
- Attending the filming of a French-speaking TV talk-show at Radio-Canada
- “Film and Poutine” outing (“Poutine” is a Quebec typical dish) in downtown Montreal Quartier latin (± $ 25 / participant)
- Visit to McCord Museum (museum dedicated to Canadian history)
- Show at Théâtre de Verdure (outdoor theater) in Lafontaine Park
*Activities subject to change
Dates – Schedule – Tuition Fees
The Business French Summer School at HEC Montréal is a 4-week immersion program.
Dates: From Monday July 17 to Friday August 11, 2017
This one-of-a-kind immersion program in North America combines intensive Business French courses (from total Beginner to Intermediate/ Advanced), interactive oral communication workshops, seminars and conferences in Marketing and Management, company visits as well as numerous socio-cultural activities and outings designed to discover the city of Montreal.
This Business French Summer School will allow you over a relatively short period of time (4 weeks) to live an enriching linguistic and cultural experience on both a personal and professional level.
Training and Activities
Number of Hours
|Induction Day – Day 1 – Written and oral placement tests||4,00|
|Business French course in the morning (Levels 1 to 4, depending on registration)||39,00|
|Exams preparation workshops.||6,00|
|Interactive oral communication workshops in the afternoon (Levels 1 to 4, depending on registration)||6,00|
|Seminars and conferences in Marketing and Management||6,00|
|Guided tour of Old Montreal – Day 1||2,30|
|Urban field trip to discover neighbourhoods in Montreal||4,00|
|Presentation of the photography contest « Montréal, ma réalité » and exhibition||9,30|
|Charity project with “Love Montréal” organization. This project will be carried out in French.||10,00|
|Information session about study programs offered at HEC Montréal||1,00|
|Afternoon outing to Parc Exalto, urban acrobatic park||4,00|
|Guided visit of Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art and art workshop.||2,00|
|Closing Ceremony and presentation of Course Certificates||1,00|
|Optional activities in the evening, all accompanied and conducted in French||±20,00|
Total Number of Hours
Business French Summer School – Language and Culture – Length : 4 weeks
The Tuition Fees Cover:
|Registration fee ($200 CA), non refundable|
|135 hours of training, activities and outings (optional activities conducted in French included)|
|Breakfast on Induction Day (Day 1 of the program)|
|Cocktail reception during the photography contest “Montréal, ma réalité“|
|Buffet for the Closing Ceremony|
|Afternoon outing to Parc Exalto, urban acrobatic park|
Tuition Fees (taxes included) $1 875 CA
Payment for this Summer School (Registration fees and optional Lodging, if applicable) is to be made only by credit card. Payment by debit card is not available.
You may complete your transaction on our secure web server (https).
Upon registration, you will have two payment options: one lump sum payment (100% of total cost) or two payments (Payment 1: 25% of total cost; followed by Payment 2: the remaining 75%.)
Total registration cost (100%), including Lodging option, if applicable, must be received no later than June 17.
After this date, please contact HEC Montréal Business Language Training Center to inquire if there are any openings for registration: firstname.lastname@example.org
In any case, the cost for Registration must be paid in full (100%) before the starting date of the Summer School.
Confidentiality and Information Security Policy
The on-line purchase on the website of HEC Montréal complies with SSL standards of transmission which ensure the secure transmission of your transaction. As a consequence, this message cannot be intercepted, distorted or decoded by a third party. Furthermore, your payment is made directly to Desjardins financial institution. HEC Montréal has no access to your credit card number.
IMPORTANT: Is travel insurance mandatory in order to enroll in the Business French Summer School at HEC Montréal?
YES, it is MANDATORY for all international participants* to acquire travel insurance covering medical, hospital and evacuation expenses to one’s country of origin in case of medical emergency. This travel insurance, covering the Summer School period (30 days), will be automatically included in your online registration. The cost is $167 CA per person.
*NO: International participants registered in a full-time study program at HEC Montréal, including the Business French Summer School, will be covered by the insurance provided by HEC Montréal.
NO: Canadian or Permanent Residents of Canada born outside the Province of Quebec must verify the reimbursement procedures with their Provincial Healthcare system should an emergency occur during their stay in Montreal. For a greater piece of mind, it is always possible to acquire additional travel insurance.